Purpose-built IoT platforms are often considered to be better than building your own for several reasons:
- Scalability: Purpose-built IoT platforms are designed to handle a large number of devices and data points, making them highly scalable. They can handle the increasing volume of data and number of connected devices as your deployment grows.
- Security: Purpose-built IoT platforms are designed with robust security measures to protect against cyber attacks, ensuring the integrity and privacy of the data. They comply with industry regulations and standards, which can be difficult and time-consuming to achieve when building your own platform.
- Ease of integration: Purpose-built IoT platforms are designed to integrate easily with existing systems and infrastructure, such as data management systems, business systems, and other IoT platforms. This enables organizations to easily incorporate IoT data and applications into their existing systems and processes.
- Support and services: Purpose-built IoT platforms are supported by a team of experts who provide documentation, tutorials, and other resources to help organizations implement and maintain the platform. This reduces the risk of errors and ensures a smooth deployment and operation.
- Ready-to-use solutions: Purpose-built IoT platforms often come with pre-built solutions and templates that can be used to quickly and easily implement IoT solutions for specific use cases. This can be more time-efficient and cost-effective than building your own platform from scratch. You can explore Rayven’s range of prebuilt IoT solutions here.
- Cost-effective: Building your own IoT platform can be a time-consuming, complex, and costly process. Purpose-built IoT platforms, on the other hand, have already been developed, tested and improved, making it cost-effective for organizations to use them.
- Maintenance + future development: IoT platforms from specialist providers will be maintained and updated with new features, as well as security patches. This means that new features will be added and UX improvements made over time. If you are to go alone, then you will be responsible for this into the future, adding cost and complexity.
Need more reasons? Read our blog about the 6 truths to consider when thinking about building your own IoT platform.
In summary, purpose-built IoT platforms are often considered to be better than building your own because they are scalable, secure, easy to integrate, supported by experts, ready-to-use solutions and cost-effective. They are designed to handle a large number of devices and data points, making them highly scalable, and are designed with robust security measures to protect against cyber attacks and comply with industry regulations.
What’s more, they are supported by a team of experts who provide documentation, tutorials, and other resources to help organizations implement and maintain the platform, meaning they can usually be quickly and easily implemented and shaped to fit specific use cases.